Our Chiropractic & Physiotherapy Team in Vaughan Offers Shoulder Pain Treatment
Shoulder pain is often something that keeps people from participating in their typical work, home, and leisure activities. Our chiropractic and physiotherapy team in Vaughn ON is happy to answer our patients' questions about this common condition and help them regain healthy shoulder function naturally.
Why is my shoulder hurting?
The shoulder is a ball and socket joint and supported by many connective tissues. A few of the most common diagnoses we see among our patients complaining of shoulder pain include:
- Bursitis: irritation to and swelling of a fluid filled sac that normally reduces friction between tendons and bones
- Rotator cuff strain: damage to and/or impingement of the muscle fibers and/or tendons in the muscles stabilizing all sides of your shoulder, ranging in severity from minor strains to full thickness tears
- Arthritis: joint inflammation and wearing down of the protective cartilage inside the joint
- Adhesive capsulitis (frozen shoulder): progressive pain and loss of motion in the shoulder following some sort of injury or infection in the shoulder area
- Dislocation: the joint surfaces move out of place
Shoulder pain can also occur due to referred pain from other areas of the body, including neck pain (such as in the case of whiplash). Common symptoms of these types of shoulder injuries include reduced range of motion, painful arcs of motion, stiffness, tenderness, instability, and the sound or sensation of clicking and popping.
What are some risk factors for shoulder pain?
Sometimes, the exact cause of your shoulder pain isn't clear. We often see athletes struggling from an injury in this highly mobile joint due to overuse, an acute trauma, repetitive motion, or improper body mechanics.
Additionally, you may struggle with shoulder pain due to the combination of many factors, including:
- Poor posture
- The presence of other underlying health conditions
- Auto accident or slip and fall accident
How can a chiropractor or physical therapist help me manage my shoulder pain?
Chiropractors and physical therapists seek to relieve symptoms and correct underlying imbalances and environmental triggers contributing to your pain. Our drug-free services for shoulder pain treatment and prevention include:
- Massage therapy
- Therapeutic exercises
- Shockwave therapy
- Ergonomic training
Together, these services optimize shoulder alignment and mobility, improve tissue healing and local circulation, reduce inflammation and pain, restore strength and stability, and help you learn how to avoid postures and movements contributing to your dysfunction.